Natural Gas Safety Tips

Shipley Home Energy :: Safety First and Always

Natural Gas Safety Tips:

Natural gas is also a colorless, odorless gas. Shipley Energy, as well as most other Natural gas suppliers add a chemical called "mercaptan" to give the gas that "rotten eggs" smell that is commonly known. This makes it easy to detect in the event of a natural gas leak. Natural gas is nontoxic and will dissipate harmlessly in the air, but it is highly combustible. Shipley recommends the following precautions for natural gas users:

  • Keep combustible materials such as papers, fluids, paints, curtains and rags away from furnaces, water heaters and gas ranges and dryers.
  • Keep all pilot lights lit as dangerous buildups of gas can occur if they are not.
  • Clear chimneys, vents and flues. Leaves, birds' nests, fallen bricks or mortar can mean problems, including exposure to carbon monoxide (CO).
  • See that your heating equipment is clean and in good working order. Properly adjusted pilots and burners and clean filters pay off in both safety and savings.

What to do in event of a gas leak:

If you happen to detect an odd or "rotten egg" smell in your home, Shipley urges you take the following actions:

  • Do not operate electric switches, appliances or flashlights.
  • Do not light matches and be sure to extinguish any open flames, such as candles.
  • Leave doors and windows open, but don't take the time to open them if they are closed.
  • Leave the premises and call Shipley immediately from a nearby phone or cell phone.
  • Do not reenter your home until a certified Shipley technician or other specialists has

Know Your General Fuel Safety:

Regular inspections and cleanings of your heating system help to ensure maximum efficiency during the winter months.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly. It is the byproduct of incomplete combustion of any type of fossil fuel, including Bioheat™ Heating Oil, coal and natural gas. Symptoms of CO poisoning are "flu-like" and include headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting and confusion. You should suspect the presence of CO if your symptoms improve or disappear when you leave a particular building where you think there may be a buildup of CO. If that occurs, here are some lifesaving tips:

  • Open all windows and doors to let in the fresh air.
  • Call your fuel supplier or a licensed heating contractor immediately for an emergency inspection.
    Seek medical attention immediately.
  • Have a carbon monoxide detector working in your home at all times.

Natural Gas Safety  BioHeat Oil Safety  Propane Safety