LIHEAP: Home Energy Assistance Program
What is LIHEAP?
LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program) is a federally-funded program that helps qualified households with their home energy bills. LIHEAP can help you stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It can also help reduce the risk of health and safety problems (such as illness, fire, or eviction).
How do I get started?
- Establish a heating oil or propane account with Shipley Energy as your LIHEAP supplier.
- Pick up and complete a LIHEAP application at your local county assistance office. If you live in Pennsylvania, click here! For Maryland, click here.
- Upon approval, a cash grant will be sent to us to offset your heating bill expenses.
- Shipley Energy will contact you if your LIHEAP grant has not been used within the appropriate amount of time.
Want some guidance? Call our team at 1.800.839.1849 to speak to a Customer Care Specalist, or fill out the form below, and we will reach out!
Tips to Keep Your Kids Warm This Winter!
- Think layers! Make sure their head, neck, and hands are covered. Dress them in one more layer than an adult would wear.
- Check-in on warmth. Tell children to come inside if they get wet or cold. Then keep watching them and checking in.
- Watch for danger signs. Signs of frostbite are pale, grey, or blistered skin on the fingers, ears, nose, and toes. If you think your child has frostbite bring the child indoors and put the affected area in warm (not hot) water.
- Teach technique. It takes time to master fun winter activities like sledding, so make sure children know how to do the activity safely.
- Get equipped. Children should always wear helmets when snowboarding, skiing, sledding or playing ice hockey. Any sports equipment should be professionally fitted.
- Prevent nosebleeds. If your child suffers from minor winter nosebleeds, use a cold air humidifier in their room. Saline nose drops can help keep their nose moist.
- Keep them hydrated. In winter air, kids lose more water through their breath. Keep them drinking and try giving them warm drinks and soup for extra appeal.
Fill out the form below or call us at 1.800.839.1849, and we would be happy to help!
Nov 10, 2015