In the Beginning
Shipley traces its origin back to 1929 when Thomas Shipley founded the Roosevelt Garage and Supply Company on Roosevelt Street across the street from York Manufacturing as a convenient place for that company's employees to fill their gasoline tanks and service their automobiles.
Thomas Shipley passed away in January 1930. Samuel Hunt Shipley, his son, took charge of the company and led the firm for 45 years.
In 1939, Thomas Shipley, Inc. purchased York Oil Burner Company, a manufacturer of oil-fired residential and commercial oil heating equipment. And in 1943, Samuel Shipley changed the parent company's name to York-Shipley Inc. The restructured firm was no longer just a holding company, but instead manufactured, installed, fueled and serviced oil furnaces and boilers. The company also provided automotive fuel and supply services, and by 1948 was operating or supplying 30 Esso service stations within the York city limits.